Lower School Librarian
St. Andrew’s Episcopal School, a diverse and thriving PK3-12 independent school in Mississippi's capital city with exciting academic and Global Studies programs, invites applications for a Lower School Librarian.
Spanning seven grade levels (PK3 through fourth grade) and housed on its own campus, with approximately 500 students and 50 faculty, St. Andrew’s Lower School is a lively center for learning through development of the whole child. The curriculum builds on skills developed in pre-K and kindergarten, and uses an active, hands-on approach that makes learning exciting and fun. Instruction by specialists in world languages, science, art, music, physical education, technology and “making” complements a strong core of language arts, social studies, and mathematics. Lower School classes are kept purposefully small, ensuring thorough attention for every child.
In keeping with the characteristics of excellence for all St. Andrew's faculty and staff, strong candidates will be professional, self-driven, team-oriented, life-long learners who pursue excellence and contribute positively to the life of the school in various ways. Exhibiting flexibility, patience, and a good sense of humor, they will be growth-oriented, passionate about teaching, technologically savvy, and comfortable working with young children. They will embrace fully the school's mission and will be able to communicate effectively with varied constituencies, to explore different subject areas with elementary-aged students, to collaborate effectively across grade-levels and departments, and to inspire students to read, question, research, and learn. They will promote a culture of reading and create a warm and inviting library space for all. Strong candidates will also cultivate critical thinking and learning skills through student-centered, differentiated instruction and help prepare students to function in our increasingly dynamic, interconnected, data-driven, technological world.
Additional qualifications for this position include the following:
- a graduate degree in library science from an American Library Association accredited program;
- background in education and teaching or school library experience;
- knowledge of current children's literature and an ability to grow and maintain a diverse, current, and relevant children’s collection;
- awareness of trends in school librarianship and current educational research
- a high degree of self-direction and flexibility
Reporting to the Director of Libraries, this position includes the following responsibilities:
- manage the two Lower School library spaces including a new Early Childhood library and the fully-renovated Discovery Center;
- work with the Head of the Lower School and other staff to meet specific curriculum and program objectives;
- select, catalog, and circulate library materials using Follett Destiny;
- collaborate with the Director of Libraries to plan strategies for reaching library program goals and to administer the library budget;
- plan activities and lessons for PK3 through 4th grade library classes (which meet once weekly) to promote a life-long love of reading, research, and learning;
- collaborate with Lower School Technology Coordinator, faculty, and other staff in integrating current technology and information literacy skills into the curriculum.
This is a full-time, twelve-month position scheduled to begin in July 2017. As an Equal Opportunity Employer and institution explicitly committed to nurturing a diverse community, St. Andrew’s does not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of the protected categories of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender, and sexual orientation), age, disability, genetic information, or military/veteran status in its employment practices or hiring practices. The school encourages applications from all qualified candidates and especially encourages applications from members of traditionally underrepresented groups in independent schools. St. Andrew’s also offers a competitive benefits package, including extensive professional development and travel opportunities. More information about the school is available at www.gosaints.org.
To apply, please submit a cover letter addressing the characteristics and responsibilities specified above, a current CV or résumé, a copy of higher education transcripts (unofficial copies will suffice initially), and a list of at least three professional references. All materials should be submitted electronically as PDFs and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying "Lower School Librarian Search" in the subject line.